Pre Reintegration Puzzle Conference Workshop
Themes from the recent world café events on post-prison reintegration across Australia.
This Conference workshop will discuss the key themes that emerged from the recent world café events on post prison reintegration in Perth, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Geelong. It also includes the result of the survey undertaken for people who could not attend one of these events.
The themes have informed the draft platform for solution-based reform which is being presented at the workshop for the first time for group discussion and feedback.
In April, May and June 2019, we held ‘conversation’-style world cafe events in Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, Melbourne and Geelong.
In these meetings, we asking participants to discuss two questions and to be as creative as possible without a consideration of cost:
- How could prison function differently to prepare people for successful release?
- What conditions are needed within communities to effectively support people post-release?
The idea was to conduct a collective ‘re-imagining’ of an inside and outside experience that would facilitate outcomes that are in the best interests of people with lived experience of prison from their point of view and a community point of view.
- Considered alternatives to prison that are suitable for most people in prison
- Explored how could prison function differently to prepare people for successful release and the conditions that are needed on the ground within community to effectively support people post release
- Allowed everyone to learn from each other’s experience and perspective
- Contributed to the draft platform for our solution-based reform which will be presented for discussion at the annual Reintegration Puzzle Conference on 26 June in Darwin.
Photo gallery of events
Website design and all photos: Michelle McDonnell